This is an outline of the material covered in the book The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook by Glenn Schiraldi. Currently I have outline the first 7 chapters that I have read. I will keep this post updated as I continue reading.
Introduction to PTSD Sourcebook Work
I recently started to again read the book The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook by Glenn Schiraldi. I find the book to be a very valuable resource and hope to work my way through it’s entirety by the end of 2012. I am in no rush, but will share what I am learning here.
To see all related posts click the tag “PTSD Sourcebook“.
Part 1: About PTSD
- Chapter 1: PTSD Basics – an overview of PTSD explaining the criteria for the disorder including exposure to stressor, event re-experience, arousal, avoidance, and impaired social and occupational functioning.
- Chapter 2: Making sense of the Bewildering Symptoms (Understanding Anxiety and Dissociation) – explanations of anxiety and dissociation, including a review of triggers.
- Chapter 3: Associated Features – explains the symptoms that can follow the exposure to a trauma, including:
- Shattered Assumptions
- Mood Disturbances
- Impulsive Behaviors
- Somatic (Bodily) Complaints
- Death Anxiety
- Repetition Compulsion
- Self Injury
- Other Self Destructive Behavior
- Changes in Personality
- Chapter 4: Frequently Asked Questions – question and answer section including questions such as:
- Who gets PTSD?
- What is the course of PTSD?
- What are the costs and benefits of PTSD?
- Can time heal the wounds?
- What about false memories?
Part 2: About Healing, Recovery, Growth
- Chapter 5: Principles of Healing, Recovery, and Growth – explains what the course of healing from PTSD will look like and 7 principles of healing. Also includes an overview of setting boundaries and feelings.
- Chapter 6: Treatment Approaches (Professional, Medication, Group and Self-Managed) – starts out with principles to optimize treatment success then leads into the exercise PTSD Cost Benefit Analysis*. Next there is an overview of the most common treatment methods including:
- Survivor Groups
- Self-Managed Treatment Approaches
Part 3: Preparations
- Chapter 7: Stabilization and Balance – this chapter will help you to pinpoint areas of your life you should attempt to make better before you start your chosen treatment option to put yourself in a place of readiness. Concerns include:
- Physical Safety
- Emotional Safety
- Concerns of Living – food, shelter, employment, medical and legal care, finances and time management
- Problem Solving
- Healthy Pleasures
- 1.1 – Potentially Traumatic Events/Stressors
- 1.2 – PTSD Diagnostic Criteria
- 2.1 – Traumatic Events and Triggers
- Indications of Dissociation (not numbered)
- 3.1 – Shattered Assumptions
- 2.1 – Awareness and Memory
- 5.1 – Healing, Recovery and Growth Graph
Leave a Reply